Voting

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Prairie Point Dish Towels


While wandering around blog land, I saw that someone had used Prairie Points on a dishtowel and I thought it was SO cute. Unfortunately, I didn't write down where I saw it, so I don't know who to give the credit to. I decided I would try to do it myself. The above picture is the finished product. I took the picture on a checked tablecloth, so that isn't part of the tablecloth, but it's pretty cute together...maybe next time. :-)
I began by appliqueing my motif. I wasn't sure how to attach the prairie points so that there wouldn't be a rough edge showing, considering how light weight the dish towel was. I decided to pin them to the bottom on the right side...

Then I cut a 1" strip of coordinating fabric and lined up the wrong side with the top edge of the prairie points.

I stitched it down with a 1/4" seam. Then I flipped it up, tucked under the raw edge. I decided to do a machine blanket stitch on the upper edge to stitch it down, but if I do it again, I will just use a straight stitch with a matching thread or blind stitch it down by hand.

I was surprised how quickly these went together. I know lots of people are thinking fall and working with browns and oranges and such right now, but it's hard for me to put down my bright happy colors. I'm so glad you stopped by today. Please come again. -Derrith

2 comments:

Connie said...

Your dish towels are amazing. Cute, cute, cute!!! I have a friend that bakes specialty dessert cakes. These would be a perfect gift, thank you for the inspiration :)
Have a lovely week.
Your blogging sister, Connie

Mom E. said...

Derrith,
These are so sweet! I love the cake on the plate....so cute. What a great idea! and I loved the checkered tablecloth underneath, as well! I want to try that! I have made some basic christmas towels and kept thinking it would be really cute to add something else, but was not sure what to add. Now I have another option!
thanks so much fro sharing it, they are sew cute!
Hugs,
Betsy